Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fifty is Not a Four-Letter Word

Fifty is Not a Four-Letter Word by Linda Kelsey

Description:
Holly is a woman who has it all. A loving husband, a teenage son who loves her, a great job, wonderful friends. But just as she is starting to approach fifty years old things start falling apart. This 50 year old birthday thing symbolizes something to her and she just isn't sure it is a good thing. She looses her job, her husband begins to distance himself, and her son moves on with his life.

So Holly begins to have a crisis. Her relationships - whether they are with her mother, her father, her best-friend, her husband, or her son have all changed. Have they changed because she is so depressed about what being fifty means?

But Holly will learn that fifty is just a number and that there is so much more to her life then she ever imagined. She just needs to get there.


Thoughts:
I love these sort of women telling stories through their eyes about their lives books. I am not close to 50 but I can't tell you how many of my friends had problems with their 30th birthdays. I personally didn't let it bother me but many had major issues with getting older in that fashion. For me this book shows that life is not over at any age. The character is strong and caring and a good person - but this mid-life crisis and her behavior during it shows that even a good person can falter. And sometimes it seems like everything bad that is happening is the fault of this one thing - when really it is something that has been building up for a long time. Who knows - maybe what seems like the most devastating of things can actually be something that is the best for you and those around you.

Usually when a book ends a bit on a cliffhanger I don't like it. But in this experience (I won't tell you what the cliffhanger is) I actually think it made it a better book. You can pick how you think it should be ended. You pick where you think the main character should end up.

As a side note - the mother/daughter relationship in this book is quite interesting. Hope feels like she was never a good enough daughter and that her mother never loved her. Where as her mother always felt a bit of jealousy in regards to hope. I actually know several people who have that sort of relationship with their parent - and I don't know if their parent would ever admit it (except maybe under the possibilities of death). That behavior is one of those ones that scar a child for life and seeing it out in the open may bring some sort of freeness for those that experienced it themselves. They are not the only one.

What genre would you consider this?
Family Dynamics

Overall:

2 comments:

Missy B. said...

I need to read this one. Thanks for the review!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Great review. I have this one in my stack.