Sunday, June 7, 2009

Book Review: Cousin Kate

Cousin Kate by Georgette Heyer

Description:
Kate Malvern has lost her job and has no where to go. Kate is a poor relation - saved by her aunt to stay at a rich mansion - Staplewood. There is so much going on behind the scenes at such a place - intrigue and secrets. Kate starts to wonder if more is going on here then meets the eye. The only one who can tell her anything is her cousin Philip. Is he willing to tell the secrets he knows the answers too - if it means saving Kate?

What Kate's aunt really wants is not to help Kate - but instead to get Kate to marry her son - Torquil. Torquil is definitely not Kate's type and instead has issues of his own.

Do Kate and Philip belong together?

Thoughts: I feel like I keep giving the same reviews. If you have loved the other books that I have reviewed by Georgette Heyer you will love this one too. I will say of the three that I have read this one is my least favorite - but it still is good. It just has some drier parts.

Heyer's heroines are traditionally likable and her heros are men that you just can't help but like. But I will warn you that this book has a bit of an underlying darkness which isn't in her other books. It doesn't make the story any less engaging - it just is an overarching theme.

What genre would you consider this?
Historical

Overall:

No comments: