Friday, June 6, 2008

The Host

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

What was this book about?

Aliens have come to the planet earth to infect us. They are a parasitic creature that essentially consists mainly of a “soul”. These souls take over the human body, and in some cases the original soul of the person leaves to give room to it, while others have to co-exist (this is very rare). These souls come to claim planets because they are kind, caring, have no war, and can exist in a moneyless society. Almost a Utopia of sorts.

Wanderer, or Wanda as they like to call her, is one of these alien souls. She has existed on many planets and for very many years. When she is placed in Melanie’s body she has no idea what is going to happen. Melanie is the rare human who has rebelled. They learned what is going on and they are hiding out trying to stay away from these “evil” aliens. Melanie is captured but she is willing to fight for her part of Wanda’s existence. It is a tough fight though. Wanda retains all of Melanie’s memories and can’t help but begin to feel the emotional entanglements that Melanie has always felt.

This means Jared, Melanie’s love and Jamie her little brother are in danger. Traditionally the soul gives up these other humans who have rebelled. Wanda cannot make herself do that. Instead she wants to find Jared and Jamie and help them.

What did you like/dislike about the book?

When I finished the book I realized how much I really liked the whole thing. The beginning was a little slow but something that was required.

I as a reader feel a bit of unhappiness when one of my favorite authors moves from a series that I love to work on something else. I am sitting her waiting to find out what is next and sometimes I just feel like “What is going on? I want you to tell me more about them and instead you are wasting your time writing this new thing”. It makes it hard to truly look past that and like something new.

But, despite all this I have to say I like this. I would be willing to read this series if she starts writing it as well as her Vampire series.

What genre would you consider this?

Teen Paranormal

Overall: A-

No comments: