Friday, March 6, 2009

The Decadent Duke

The Decadent Duke by Virginia Henley

What was this book about?

Georgina Gordon and her sisters had an unusual upbringing. Despite this once they all reach of age – their mother can’t wait to marry them off to men with titles. And she has been able to accomplish her goal.

When it comes Georgina though – she wants a marriage for love. She has seen what has happened when you marry for convenience and wants no part of it. Her mother has set her eyes on Francis Russell , the Duke of Bedford. But instead Georgina has her eyes on his married younger brother.

Will Georgina find true love?

What did you think about the book?


The story was only ok for me. It had its promising moments but there were several things I just didn’t enjoy. One – I didn’t know who she should like. John Russell is married and has children when she meets him (and for much of the book). Which makes you think – she should stay away from him – even if his marriage is horrid. And the older brother doesn’t turn into this horrible cad until you have met him a few times.

The other thing that I didn’t enjoy all that much was the politics. It wasn’t in the story in a way that kept me interested about it. I just wanted to skip those parts. It wasn’t important to the character development (other than to show that John was a great person). There really was just too much of that.

I enjoyed the sisterly relationship. I loved the thought of a kinda outrageous mother doing everything she could to marry her daughters off to men who had titles. But overall the story just had a few too many things that weren’t my favorite.

What genre would you consider this?

Historical Romance

Overall:

No comments: