Friday, November 28, 2008

Living with the Dead

Living with the Dead by Kelley Armstrong

What was this book about?

Hope Adams is a chaos demon. When she comes back to town to spend time with her childhood friend Robyn Peltier she is expecting a quiet visit. Robyn is trying to get over her recently deceased husband, who died quite unexpectedly. She is also working with starlets who are demanding and not very nice.

Robyn becomes embroiled in a murder mystery. People think she has killed – and she hasn’t. Hope and her boyfriend/werewolf Karl are there to help. What Robyn doesn’t realize is that there is an unnatural force at work.

Can Karl and Hope save Robyn from whoever is after her? Does it have repercussions for the supernatural world?

What did you think about the book?

With the Otherworld series I tend to feel mediocre about the books. They aren’t bad necessarily, but they also aren’t my favorites. With some books I get so excited to see that the next book is coming that I can barely hold myself back. This is not one of those series. At the same time it keeps me entertained enough that I don’t want to give it up. And every once in a while I love the book that has been written so much it makes up for the other lukewarm feelings I have.

Maybe my problem is Hope. Because she is a chaos demon and her love interest Karl is just a strange werewolf – it is hard for me to get into their lives and connect with them.

So is it bad? No. Is it my favorite book series ever – no..

What genre would you consider this?
Paranormal

Overall:

Question for you?
Have you ever had a series that you didn’t really always enjoy but you felt invested in it so much that you had to follow through to the end?

1 comment:

Darlene said...

I still have a few of the Otherworld Series to read but in answer to your question, yes I stick with a series even if I'm not as thrilled with it as I was at first. The Betsy Vampire series would be one and so would the Anita Blake series. I used to anxiously wait for the new one to come out and this time around the new one is still sitting on my nightstand to read. However I will continue to follow them if only because I absolutely need to know what the characters are up to.