Thursday, March 11, 2010

Book Review: The Kids are All Right

The Kids are All Right by Diana Welch and Liz Welch

I don't know if it is because I now have a child of my own but books like these hit me even harder. To imagine what it would be like to have both your parents die when you are young is just terrible (in fact it is something I don't even want to think about now). These two women write about it what it was like to be in that situation. And it is no holds barred. I read about parts of it and want to cheer them on to doing what is right and instead they make the mistakes that every teenager does. In the end though it was all about family and they ended up being able to do what was right.

This isn't an upbeat book. In fact it may bring you to tears several times. So if you are looking for something feel good- you will be disappointed. But it in many ways it is accurate. Told from the perspective of all the children it is quite the story - even if each of them have their own ideas about what happened and why.

This book just made me cherish my parents and my sibling all the more.

No comments: