Sunday, March 30, 2008

Change of Heart

Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult

What was this book about?
June Nealon has had plenty of tragedy in her life, and all she has left is her daughter Claire who is waiting for a new heart. It doesn’t look like it will get there in time. Meanwhile, Shay Bourne is on death row and wants to give his heart to Claire as some sort of redemption. Can June deal with her daughter getting a killers heart? Will the legal system recognize this as a religious belief that must be upheld? Father Michael, tries his best to aid in this quest of Shay’s and it questions all his beliefs.

What was your favorite part about this book?
As with many Jodi Picoult books the end is the best part. It closes everything up in some sort of way that keeps you guessing, but has also thrown you for a loop. What you think isn’t always the truth.

What was your least favorite part about this book?

This book is really a quest of religion. Trying to find out what is the truth in religion is something that has going on since the beginning of time. While it is interesting it wasn’t all that enlightening for me. I had heard most of it before.

What genre would you consider this?
Fiction

Overall: C, it was a tolerable book but it wasn’t something that I wanted to run out and tell everyone about.

Possible Spoilers: In the past I have enjoyed Jodi Picoult’s books immensely – to the point of buying one of them “My Sister’s Keeper” for practically everyone I knew that liked to read. I think the first Jodi Picoult book is the best book that you will read of hers mainly because of the format of the books. They follow a story that makes you think one thing and then at the end turns everything around to make you realize all you thought was true is not. Once you start reading her books, you most likely will still enjoy them – but it is less of a shock for you when things go haywire. In fact, you almost expect it. I have to say there were parts of this book that from the first page I knew were going to be true, and I was right.

If I was to nominate this book for an award it would be: Best Personal Analyzation of Religion by a Character

No comments: