Friday, September 5, 2008

Comfort: A Journey Through Grief

Comfort: A Journey Through Grief by Ann Hood

What was this book about?

Ann Hood, a novelist went through one of the most difficult things a parent can go through – she lost her 5 year old daughter. One day Grace was a happy healthy kid, the next she was dead.

Having a mother (and a writer) analyze their grief and get it down on paper has to be difficult. But that is what Ann has done in this novel.

What did you think about the book?

Ann Hood has also written “The Knitting Circle” which I definitely enjoyed. When I found out that that novel came from a tragedy in her own life – and she had written something about that I knew I had to read it.

It definitely didn’t disappoint. While it seems to jump from one place to another – in many ways I feel that it only represents what is really going on in her mind and her life. Grief for losing a child is something I can only imagine. While the book isn’t going to end all fairytales and roses, I feel it realistically both describes her grief and describes how she has as best she can continued on with her life.

What genre would you consider this?

Memoir

Overall:

No comments: