Monday, September 29, 2008

Being Elizabeth

Being Elizabeth by Barbara Taylor Bradford

What was this book about?

At 25 years old Elizabeth Deveranel becomes the soul heir to a globally recognized company – Deveranel’s. It has been in her family for generations. The last few years have been difficult for Elizabeth with her sister Mary running the company into the ground.

Elizabeth will do whatever it takes to get Deveranel’s back in business and stable. Of course taking over a company like this isn’t easy. There are other’s who want their part of the pie. People who are loyal to her now dead sister Mary.

Elizabeth and her allies must work hard to keep things going their way!

What did you think about the book?


Ok so I was a little slow when I was reading this. It wasn’t what I expected at all. I was definitely at least a few chapters in when I realized that this was the story of Queen Elizabeth I told as if instead of a Queen she was empire of a global company. Still the intrigues and relationships were all there.

I have read a LOT about the times of Henry VIII, Elizabeth, Richard, Mary, etc. I don’t consider myself an expert by any means but the stories there are not really new to me. I think I would have enjoyed this book a little more if when I went to read it – it was what I expected. Instead of getting an intrigue of woman running a company – it was really just retelling a story I already knew from a different twist. And for me the twist wasn’t enough to keep the story going.

I think if you don’t know a lot about the historical years of Elizabeth you will probably really like it. And if you know what you are reading is a slightly different version of that you will probably really enjoy it as well. I think it is all about expectations.

I also have to say I haven’t read a lot of Barbara Taylor Bradford’s books. Maybe if I had it would have been something that I expected instead of something I realized once I was into the book.

What genre would you consider this?


Fiction

Overall:

No comments: