Monday, December 29, 2008

A Good Woman

A Good Woman by Danielle Steel

What was this book about?

It is the early 1900’s and Annabelle Worthington is the daughter of a rich businessman. She has had everything she could ever want in terms of material possessions. She has always been intrigued by the medical field – but rich girls don’t study medicine – they volunteer.

So that is what Annabelle does. This book follows Annabelle through marriage, having a child, relationships, death, and most of all her following her dream in a time when women do not do that. Annabelle flees America and ends up in Europe during World War I. She can do much to help there.

What did you think about the book?

I love the stories of the Titanic. It is horribly sad – but it interests me in a way few events in history have. I have seen the movie more times then I can reliably say here. So for me the fact that it mentions the Titanic and has a parallel story to it (albeit short) in the beginning – was spectacular.

Danielle Steel’s books have long been more then just about a relationship between a woman and a man. But more about the events in life that lead up to that relationship and what forms you as a person – and how that affects the relationship. Very little progresses about the actual relationship – it is all about the person. Of course there are things that happen in the book that you cringe at and wish hadn’t happened. Because life itself is “cringe worthy”.

I liked this book quite a bit. I think even more then the last book I read by her – Rogue. But it is close. The history twist made it a little more exciting for me.

What genre would you consider this?

Romance/Family Dynamics

Overall:

Question for You!
Have you ever been the non-traditional person in a role? Whether you were the only (or one of the few) women in a position – or the same goes for a man. How did that affect your performance? Did it make you strive to do better? Or worse?

No comments: