Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Beyond the Highland Mist

Beyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning

What was this book about?

Hawk is a 16th century hero. He has done everything he can for his leader and now it is time for him to settle down and live in his own castle with his family. But as a last minute “request” he is told that he must wed a girl of his leader’s choosing. And he hasn’t heard good things about this girl.

Adrienne de Simone is a modern day girl who has been burned by a beautiful man. Because of it her life can never go back to being what it was. When magically she is taken back in time and dropped on a man’s doorstep – where he tells her she must pretend to be his daughter and marry Hawk she is shocked. She doesn’t want to get anywhere near Hawk. He is even more good looking then the last man she loved and look how that turned out?

She can’t seem to stay away from him – and he can’t help but be attracted to her in a way he has been to no other woman. But the faeries that brought her to his time can just as easily take her from it. Can their love survive?

What did you think about the book?

I started Karen Marie Moning’s books with her paranormal romances. Where we the woman may have come from present day but the man was from some point in time or was some other sort of creature (faerie perhaps?). I enjoyed them and that is why I started reading her Fever books. I found those to be really exciting and quite interesting. I could see from there that an overarching plot was happening between all of the romaces and the Fever series and it excited me.

So whenever I pick up one of these books, I hope it gives me another piece of the larger part between faerie and man. This book (at least at this point) didn’t really do that for me. Was it a good book on its own? Yes. But do I see where it fits into the larger story? Not quite yet. I am hoping that when I get further in the Fever series I will see how Hawk and Adrienne fit in. But I am guessing based on their “timing” that they won’t. Instead they are just another look into the world of Adam Black (before he becomes human).

What genre would you consider this?

Paranormal Romance

Overall:

No comments: