Monday, October 20, 2008

One Fifth Avenue


One Fifth Avenue by Candace Bushnell


What was this book about?

We follow a building up on the prestigious fifth avenue. It has once been home to artisans and others and now over the years new blood has moved in that has affected things overall.

Edith Warton is a gossip columnist who has lived in the building for ages. She wishes it oculd be the place it once was. And even more she wishes her nephew (author) Philip would settle down. Philip has his own dreams. He has hit a low with his writing “real” books and doesn’t know what to do with his life. Head board member Mindy is starting to have things work out for her and her husband James. His book is getting published and her blog is taking off. Their son Sam seems to be doing well as well. Actress Sheridan returns back to New York for a new TV show and returns to her home in One Fifth Ave. Then there is the new up and coming wealthy Annalisa and Paul. He is a hedge fund manager and she was a lawyer. They have moved to NYC to follow his dreams. Lastly there is Billy – he doesn’t live there but has always wished he did. He hangs out with the rich and powerful but barely has enough to survive.

What did you think about the book?

For some reason or another I cannot remember ever having read a Candace Bushnell book before. I think probably everyone has heard of “Sex and the City” and in my case I have even watched it (though I never got really into the series). So when I found out about “One Fifth Avenue” I was excited. I was expecting something fun and light much like “The Devil Wears Prada” and that isn’t what I found here. Maybe that is why I found the book a bit dry. You were never able to fully identify with the characters – even with their flaws.

I felt like it was more like one big extended gossip column that was able to peak into people’s lives then a real true vision of what was there. I am sure that it probably is true that these people live this way. But half the fun of reading a book is to find something that peaks your interest (and even some missing jewels couldn’t do that for me).

So generally speaking I was disappointed. Then again maybe it is all about expectations – if I had other expectations of what it was going to be like I may have enjoyed it. Since I have read nothing else of her’s to compare it to – I will just go with my gut.

What genre would you consider this?
Up town Living

Overall:

No comments: