Friday, October 24, 2008

Man of the House

Man of the House by Ad Hudler

What was this book about?

Linc Menner and his wife Jo decided when their daughter was born that he would be the caretaker. Jo has a wonderful job that financially allows Linc to be both mother and father to Violet.

Violet is now a teenager and the family moves to Naples, Florida for Jo’s job. But this move has done more then just change the family’s location. Linc has started to question his “man-ness” and started acting in ways that are not like he used to. Is he having a mid-life crisis? Why is he keeping secrets from his family? What has caused this big change and is it permanent?

What did you think about the book?

From the beginning this book had interesting possibilities. The fact that it wasn’t just a book written about a stay at home dad, but that it was written by someone who actually lived that life made it come from an interesting perspective. It definitely gave me all that I wanted from the book.

I think it definitely hit home for me because my husband thinks he wants to be a stay at home dad. We have no children yet – but the idea has been sitting in his mind for a while. And while it is something that is feasible economically with my job – it is just something that makes me worried. I don’t know that he thinks about the parts of staying home that I do. I know he would be a great dad and that he could definitely take care of the children and the house. I think for me parts that make me worry is the social stigma attached to being a stay at home dad and caretaker. As much as you shouldn’t determine your life from what others think I know that for many your friends, your family, and others in the community have thoughts about the correct place for a man. What happens to a man when he loses what is traditionally thought of as his man-ness?

This book gets into that – covering what it takes to recapture that feeling after living for so long without it.

What genre would you consider this?
Family Dynamics

Overall:

No comments: