Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Darkest Evening of the Year

The Darkest Evening of the Year by Dean Koontz

What was this book about?

Brian is an architect with a past. But now he is in love with Amy (who has her own interesting past) who is saves Golden Retrievers. One call sends her to the house of a woman and children who are abused by the husband. But she isn’t there to just save them – she is also there to save a very special Golden – Nicki.

Nicki isn’t just any dog – she seems to “know” things that she shouldn’t. She is able to do things that she shouldn’t be able to do. Even dogs react to her in a strange way.

Amy and Brian progress on a journey that requires each of them to confront their past and believe that the other will continue to walk with them forward. But Nicki is an important part of this equation. Can the dangerous members that Amy and Brian left behind be stopped?

What did you think about the book?

This was another one of those audio books that I listened to. It actually didn’t take me as long as some of them have. I enjoyed this book, I loved the woman reading it – she had just the right voice for me.

I started out “reading” Dean Koontz books when I was a teen/tween. My father would have the books on tape (yes – tape back then) and I would pretend to fall asleep while we would be traveling so that I could listen in. I have continued to read his books as I have grown up. Some I have really enjoyed others have been so-so. Lately, I have been trying to get my husband to try them out- but so far he hasn’t been interested.

In terms of this particular book – I enjoyed it. I swear that at some point in the past he had another book that in some ways was similar. There was a dog – who was more then a dog. But despite this similarity – I still liked the book. It definitely made me want to go out and get a golden retriever for a pet. They are so smart, so lovable, and I loved how he talked about their smiles.

So if you are looking for something that has a lot of dogs in it, a touch of a thriller, you probably will enjoy this one.

What genre would you consider this?
Thriller

Overall:

Question for You!
What type of dogs do you like best? Do you have one? What are it’s personality traits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jack Russell Terrier. I will never have another type of dog again. :)