Thursday, December 18, 2008

Lost and Found

Lost and Found by Carolyn Parkhurst

What was this book about?

Laura and Cassie are mother and daughter who have a big secret. Each were wrapped up in their own world not paying attention to the other. One wanted anyone to notice her. When the secret is revealed Laura decides that she needs to find a way of healing that relationship.

So they join the crew of a reality TV show where they travel the world solving puzzles. There they meet several other contestants that have their own questions and problems.

Juliet is a former child star that wants more then anything to be famous again. Can she deal with the fact that she is no longer someone that everyone wants to be around?

Carl has a son who has been sick – he is divorced and alone. So when the opportunity comes up to join in the game with his brother – he decides to do it!

Justin and Abby are former homosexuals (or so they say) that have been saved by God. They are now married and spend all their time together. They are interested in using the show to explain to the world that others can be helped like them. Are Justin and Abby denying their true selves? What will happen if they figure out that things aren’t totally what they seem to be?

Add in a TV show that wants to get the most drama out of everything. The executives know their secrets and will exploit them if they can.

What did you think about the book?

I really liked this book. I have to admit I was never a huge fan of The Amazing Race – but I have seen it a few times. And while this reality show isn’t totally like it – it is close in many ways.

I was expecting the book to be just about the mother and daughter relationship of Cassie and Laura – but it really was so much more then that. It was the relationship of several people on the show and how each affected the other. Their reasons for being on it etc.

I will definitely be passing this book on as a recommendation – a great introspection on who we are as people and how our decisions affect others.

What genre would you consider this?
Family Dynamics

Overall:


Question for You!

If you could go on any reality show – what would it be an why?

4 comments:

Darlene said...

I have this book coming from you actually so I'll wait to read your review until I can read it. I just checked out your rating and see that you liked it so that's good.

As for a reality show, I watch a lot of them and know I couldn't make it on any. I like the luxuries of home way too much.

Kathleen said...

I'd love to be on The Amazing Race. To be able to see all those different places and experience some of the culture.

I have this book on my TBR pile. I won it from a contest.

Anonymous said...

I have seen this book somewhere, I think Amazon and wondered about it. Great insight!

Luanne said...

This one is on my TBR pile as well. It sounds great - thanks for the review!