Sunday, December 14, 2008

This One is Mine

This One is Mine by Maria Semple

What was this book about?

Violet Perry has it all. A husband who I a rock and roll manager. A wonderful toddler daughter. More money then she can figure out what to do with. But she feels like something is missing. The years have taken their toll on their marriage. She feels as if David and her are growing apart – resentments are building up.

When she meets musician Teddy Reyes she can’t help but be attracted to the fact that he is different and new. But Teddy isn’t ready to give Violet what she wants and she must deal with.

Meanwhile David’s sister Sally is ready to finally get it all for herself. She is single and has been looking for the man that will make a difference in her life. She has one on the hook. He doesn’t know it but he is going to be famous and what Sally wants more then anything is a man with money, power, and fame. And she will do anything to get him to be her husband.

Things aren’t always what they seem in relationships – whether they are between brother and sister, husband and wife. This book explores those relationships and how just one person can change everything for everyone.

What did you think about the book?

At points I liked this book, at points I found it a little slow for my taste, but the ending for me redeemed it all.

I think all the characters are interesting and unique. There interactions are telling – they are normal people with flaws and inner thoughts that are a bit disturbing at times.

The idea of a fast life with all sorts of extras in some ways appeals to me in terms of a story. The people that don’t have to worry about money, who have a life that I would never have (and honestly in some ways am glad will never have) full of people who want to use them for something.

I really liked how Maria Semple tied all of these people together with a small cord that you could see emerging at some point – but didn’t know how it would affect these people for the long run.

What genre would you consider this?
Family Dynamics

Overall:

Question for You!
What do you think it would be like to on the surface have it all? Do you think it is all it is cracked up to be?

4 comments:

Jill said...

Great review...I just finished this one. I went back and forth throughout, disturbed at some points but utterly compelled to keep reading.

Darlene said...

Glad you enjoyed this one. I'm going to be starting it in the next week or so.

Anonymous said...

Did you get my email about the book chat on Monday?

Luanne said...

Thanks for the review - this one's on my bookshelf. I loved the cover and had to buy it!