Monday, December 8, 2008

The Misadventures of Oliver Booth

The Misadventures of Oliver Booth by David Desmond
What was this book about?
Oliver Booth is a wannabe high society antiques dealer. He will do whatever he can to be a part of the "better" class and he believes that he belongs there.

Oliver has a hard time hiring clerks - but feels like he may have hit the jackpot when he finds frenchman Bernard. Bernard is a great clerk in his antique shop.

When society head Margaret Van Buren meets Oliver and Bernard she decides to teach Oliver a lesson. She hires Bernard and Oliver to go to Paris and find antiques for her guest house. She knows that Bernard is the brains and so what happens to Oliver is a hilarious set of pain to Oliver.

What did you think about the book?
There were parts of this book that I really loved and others I was lukewarm about. I think that if I had visited the places the book was talking about I probably would have enjoyed it even better. I have never been to Palm Beach - but even without that I can guess that some of the attitudes are definitely accurate.

It was definitely fun to see Oliver Booth get what was coming to him. He was a really unlikeable charecter (by design).

I think my favorite part of it thought - was the interaction between Bernard and Martin. The kid was bright and wanted attention and Bernard gave it to him while teaching him a lesson.

What genre would you consider this?
Fiction

Overall:

Question for You!
Is there a place that you have visited that you loved reading a book about? If so what book?

No comments: