Friday, December 12, 2008

A Jolly Good Fellow

A Jolly Good Fellow by Stephen V. Masse
What was this book about?
Duncan Wagner has had a tough life. He is barely making ends meet and he is doing it through illegal means. But he has a plan that will make things better. He chooses his prey and picks up the young son of a prominent politician. He is going to kidnap the kid and make his father pay ransom.

But Gabriel Booker, the child, can't help but not behave in the way that Duncan expects. He wants to be friends with his kidnapper. The child teaches Duncan some lessons in life and gives him the chance to redeem himself. What does this child mean to Duncan?

What did you think about the book?
To start with Stephen wrote a guest post for me that I really enjoyed. I gave him free reign and told him to write whatever he wanted - finding that an open field can sometimes give me the best insight into the author. He chose to wrote about book blogs. I found the post to be fun and interesting and I really enjoyed it. It made me want to pick up his book.

So that is what I did - I picked it up. Overall I enjoyed it. It jumps right into the story which in some ways are good because it leaves you guessing - wondering what is going on and how things came to be the way they were. Why the guy wanted to kidnap this kid?

The only thing I didn't like about it was I just wasn't sure if the guy was a good guy. And it scared me. I didn't want the guy to turn out to be some evil guy looking to find a kid and do bad things to him. I guess that is my problem that I immediately think of that sort of thing. I admit that you should feel sorry for any future children that I have because I will be a bit overprotective (which I have to say is nothing compared to my husband).

Anyways I have said it before. I enjoy that a man would write about something that isn't classic literature written by a man (not a mystery, science fiction, thriller etc). It emotes feelings and thoughts. It isn't something I see enough of.

What genre would you consider this?
Fiction

Overall:


Question for You!
What guest posts or bloggers have you read - that makes you want to read their book?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd say most of the blogs I read. :) That's how my wish list gets so big.