Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Noontime Book Chat - Like Glass

So today is my day to talk about "Like Glass" by Matthew Cory. I actually did a full review of this book sometime in the past. I really enjoyed it. But for the sake of the Noontime Book Chat - I am going to pretend that I didn't read the whole book but talk about something that someone else posed to me.

How do you feel about a book so much about emotions being told from a man's perspective? If you are a woman does that turn you off to a book? Does it make you want to read it more because it is unusual? What about if you are a man? Would you ever pick up a book like this?

When I originally wrote the review someone commented "Interesting that you liked that this is from the man's point of view. I was reading some publishing industry person recently who said that no one wants to read this sort of thing."

I read so very much that I found it to be refreshing to have a different sort of book on my bookshelf. What do you think about that?

Was there a line in the book (as far as you have read) that really stuck out to you as being something that touched you?

As a complete side note - I have communicated with Matthew Cory a few times (and even have an Author Spotlight up) and I find him to be a joy to "talk to" over email. And if you haven't already purchased his book - you should.

Now to move on with the story in terms of J. Kaye and Socrates'.

When he finds out his brother is dead - he goes to visit Janet and the kids. He hasn't spoken to her (or his brother in years). It is hard for him to deal with the death. Do you think he was right to separate from his brother like that?

Do you feel that Janet had the right to ask him to not attend the funeral? In some ways I understand it is hard for her to see him (considering their past relationship and the fact that the man she loved - her husband - died wanting a relationship with Rob). All of that would be a lot to get over. At the same time Rob is the brother. He also has to be grieving. And he was the one who was innocent in the original debacle.

I hope you will join the others posting. The schedule is below:

Monday: J. Kaye's Book Blog
Tuesday: Socrates' Book Reviews
Wednesday: A Blog of Books
Thursday: Things We Read
Friday: Café of Dreams

3 comments:

Bree said...

I am behind on the reading but am catching up today. Typically I read very few books told from a man's perspective. Don't know why. There are few male authors that I read on a regular basis. Again dont know why. I'm on page 42 now and am really wondering if the obsession with smoking is going to lead to something tramatic. I can't remember the last book I read that talks about smoking so much. It's almost a distraction for me. Along with the brother's "banging" talk, it makes me wonder since this is written by a man, is this all some men talk about? If so, they really need to get a life.

Right now I'm anxiously awaiting the part that tells me why he hasn't spoke to his brother in years.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bree! Where have ya been? Tis the season huh? (lol)

Oh wow, these are super good questions. I love reading from a man's point of view. I think this comes from hanging out with mostly guys throughout my teens up until I was married. My first husband was the super jealous type and didn't like me having guy friends. By the time Steve and I met, I was out of the habit.

I feel more comfortable around a male's point of view.

Funny you should ask about the separation thing. I've done that with my family. I could relate to Rob. Our separation wasn't over a girl. It was something way more serious - not to minimize Rob's issue. I just had to break a self-destructive pattern that's been passed down through the generations. The only way for me to do that was change. The only way to change is walk away.

So when I read what Rob did, I sort of felt less like an alien...lol!

Also, I think some of the characters think Rob did this to pay his brother back. Because of my experience, I didn't see it like that.

As far as Janet, I think she could use a lot of Dr. Phil.

Yvonne said...

First, reading from the man's point of view was a different perspective for me. I usually read from the woman's point of view, but I liked this take on the story as well. I would definitely read others from the man's POV.

As for Janet, I can understand her inviting Rob to the funeral. This was his brother, but I think the invitation should have come from his parents under the circumstances. I can't remember if they explained why she was the one who called Rob and not them. I understood Rob cutting himself off, but I didn't think his family made much of an effort to re-connect with him. Since Rob was the injured party, I think there should have been more of an attempt from the rest of the family to bring Rob back into the family fold. Perhaps then Rob could have moved on with his life and let go of some of his anger.