Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Other Queen

The Other Queen by Phillippa Gregory

What was this book about?

Mary Queen of Scots is now a prisoner in Elizabeth’s country. She could be crowned Queen and is Elizabeth’s heir so Elizabeth just doesn’t know what to do.

The story is told from Mary’s perspective as well as her captors/the people she is a house guest of – George Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury and his wife Bess. Each has a different perspective on what should happen to Mary. Add into that the normal court intrigue and you know it will not be as easy as it should be.

What did you think about the book?

When I find out that Phillippa Gregory has a new Historical Fiction book coming I get excited. I wait all year for a book like this and hope that it feeds my addiction to both the time period and the history during that time. I have read all of her books – even her really early works that I found a little disturbing.

So while I was really really excited to see this book come out. Once I started reading it – I almost had to make myself continue. I just didn’t find this book exciting enough. The three characters who tell the story from their point of view aren’t that intriguing. I just wanted more.

Is it a bad book? No. Do I know how it is going to turn out? Well yes – it is history – if Mary was able to overtake Elizabeth then she wouldn’t have been Queen Elizabeth for all those years. The thing that appeals to me about these sorts of books is “making the world real” for me. Making me feel like I really was a part of their thoughts and actions. Like I understood why they made the decisions that they did. Of course I know there is some digression from the real truth – as well as the fact that this is a story we can’t really know what they were thinking.

So if you are looking for a historical fiction book to pick up this isn’t the worst (many of them can be overly dry and fact ridden) but it wasn’t my favorite either.

What genre would you consider this?
Historical Fiction

Overall:


Question for you:
Is there a Historical Fiction author that you love? Books? I would love some suggestions.

2 comments:

Darlene said...

I just got this book last week and have yet to read it but yours isn't the first review I've read with somebody less than excited about it. I'm the same as you-I want to feel as though I'm right in that world while I'm reading it. I hope to get to this one soon though and see what I think then.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Historical fiction author who I love? India Edghill and her two books: Queenmaker and Wisdom's Daughter. I can't say enough good things about these two books.