Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Secret Vampire (Night World No. 1)

Secret Vampire (Night World No. 1) by L.J. Smith

What was this book about?

Poppy has been diagnosed with a fatal disease. She is only 15 years old and acts like every other teenager. She spends time annoying her twin brother Phil and wishing for a romance with the boy that doesn’t seem to have any interest in her (at least in “that-way”. The only thing is this boy is her best friend – James.

James has his own secrets as he is a member of the “Night World” and a vampire. But it is against the rules to love a human let alone help them in any way. Will James risk everything to keep Poppy? What about Poppy can she leave behind all she knows just for the possibility of continued existence?

What did you think about the book?

To be completely honest I have to admit that many times I don’t like anthologies. Especially short story anthologies. I feel like even when I “love” the author something is lost in the story. It is hard to tell a story, get people into the characters in a very short story. But more and more in the publishing world they have put out these reprint anthologies.- where you get full-length books in a large book of similar tales. So for me I figured this would be fine I wouldn’t mind it.

I don’t know what it was – I wanted to like the story. I just felt like there wasn’t enough description in the novel for me. Even with the full-length featureness of it all. The people in the story were just not likeable. I understand Phil wanting to protect his sister, I understand Popp dealing with future death is scary, I understood James’s need to go against all the rules. I know all that – but I didn’t feel it for them. I just didn’t get a good enough sense that they belonged together, what Ash’s intentions were etc.

The story definitely was interesting in terms of – what would you do if you were going to die? Would you leave behind all that you know, everyone and everything – for an opportunity at life?

What genre would you consider this?
Teen/Paranormal

Overall:

Question for You!
Do you like anthologies? What about short story anthologies? Do you think that it affects how the story is told?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have this one on my nightstand!