Thursday, August 27, 2009

Book Review: The Princess Plot

The Princess Plot by Kirsten Boie

Description: Jenna is used to being the ugly girl on the block. She has a mother who is way to overprotective and doesn't let her do anything. Then a movie role comes up where she can go to a foreign country and play a princess. And wonders of all wonders - she gets the part.

So off she goes to Scandia. What Jenna doesn't know is that the countries princess is missing (and Jenna looks surprisingly like her). Imagine that when she realizes that they don't just want her for a movie role but for soemthing way more dangerous. Can Jenna get herself out of the sticky suituation she is in?

Thoughts: Generally I don't feel this way - but when reading this book I felt I was too old to enjoy it. I had been wondering if I would find the fact that it is translated to be an issues (sometimes the translation leaves a bit to be desired) and maybe the cultural differences is what gave me the biggest problem.

I really just couldn't get over the fact that a 14 year old girl decided to be in a movie, had a movie producer supposedly call her mother, and her overprotective mother just let her go. I know it was all a trick but are teen girls really that stupid? If they were I think there would be more than the already depressing number of them that disappear each day. I mean did she really believe that her normally technological unsavy mother all of a sudden learned how to text? Just in time to ignore her phone calls? It just was scary to me to believe that they could really believe that to be the truth.

The rest of the story was cute and Princess Diaries like (with a little more action) but because of the beginning I just couldn't get into the book.

What genre would you consider this?
Teen

Overall:

No comments: