Friday, October 10, 2008

I Like It Like That

I Like It Like That by Cecily von Ziegesar

What was this book about?

Just like the tv show there is Gossip Girl someone who tells everyone else what is going on in everyone’s lives. They don’t know who she is or how she knows these things.

Keep her surrounded by a group of wealthy high class kids who are interested in pursuing their art, taking lots of drugs, hooking up and you have the plot.

In this book Blair is interested in getting away from her mother (who is pregnant) and brothers, so she decides to go skiing with Serena. And Serena’s hot older brother Eric. Is Blair ready to give it up?

Nate and his rehab girlfriend Georgina are also there and Nate can’t help but compare Georgina to Blair and Serena. Is he with the right girl?

What did you think about the book?


The only fair thing is to start with why I even put this on my book list. I think everyone has heard of gossip girl either from magazines, internet, or TV. I had no interest in watching the show for quite a while. But when the summer got to be long and dry with no new tv to watch I gave in. (DVR is great but it does mean that you don’t have to catch up with any shows that you missed – you just don’t miss any!)

So about two months ago I started watching Gossip Girl on TV. And I liked it. It was fun, young, interesting and I thought – why did I wait so long to watch this. When I found out that it was based on the books I decided to go out and try one. And since this is the one I came across I started here.

And it wasn’t that the book was bad – it was ok – it was more that I had expectations and characters set in my mind from the TV show and the book were sometimes very, very different. Be it physical, where they fit in the family life, etc. And it was just hard to get passed what I imagined for them with the TV show and the book.

If I had read the books first I might have loved them. If the characters had different names – like they have different temperament, lives, etc. I probably would have been ok with it. But it was just hard.

What genre would you consider this?

Teen

Overall:

No comments: