Sunday, October 19, 2008

Supreme Courtship

Supreme Courtship by Christopher Buckley

What was this book about?

President Vanderdamp just wants to make a difference. He is vetoing all spending bills and has a very low approval rating. He isn’t interested in another term as president – he is more concerned with his current term. When an opening in the Supreme Court comes up he does his best to nominate people that he feels deserve the job and would be good at it.

But long time enemy in the Senate wants the job for himself and he is going to do everything in his power to make sure the only person who gets the job is himself. So the President throws him a curveball (and a popular one at that) he nominates TV Judge Pepper Cartwright. So there is nothing he can do about it but let her approval go through.

But life isn’t all roses for a new Supreme Court judge. How do you weigh the law with what you think is right?

What did you think about the book?

I thought this book was fun and light and quite enjoyable. The only thing that stopped it from being 5 stars was the ending. It ended to soon with not enough details for me. I wanted more – I wanted to see how the new justice could make a difference. I wanted to see how the relationships moved forward with the justices.

So I guess that shows you how it was with this book if my biggest complaint was that it ended to quickly. I felt like I had an inner look at something I hadn’t really ever thought about before – the Supereme Court. I felt like it was written tongue in cheek with some things matching the current administration and the feelings many would have in the populace if something like this really did happen.

What genre would you consider this?
Political Satire

Overall:

No comments: