Sunday, February 1, 2009

Mr. Touchdown

Mr. Touchdown by Lydia Phillips

What was this book about?

Eddie Russell and three other African American children are picked to join in the desegregation process. They are to go to the local “white” school. It is a tough place to be. No one really knows what to do or how to act. They are hated and harassed by many – and the danger to them is not minimal. It is a brave thing to do – but more then anything what they want is to belong.

Several of the other teens – like Nancy Martin will stick up for what they belive is right. Some of the teachers will also. For Eddie – he wants nothing more then to play football. And when given the opportunity he will show the community who he really is.

What did you think about the book?

This book was very, very good! I have to admit that this period of history was not one that I was alive through. It wasn’t one I studied (with the exception of a few paragraphs in a history book in high school). It was one that I had heard about – but nothing really touched me or made me think about that period of time and the people that were part of the movement.

This book had me thinking. It had me empathizing with many of the characters. To think that it wasn’t really that long ago that all of this was going on really has to make you think.

I think that anyone should read this – teens and adults. It makes you think and appreciate where you are in life.

What genre would you consider this?

Fiction

Overall:

Question for You!
Do you think you could have been brave enough to stand up for what was right?

No comments: