Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Zen and the Art of Vampires

Zen and the Art of Vampires by Katie MacAlister (A Dark Ones Novel)

What was this book about?

Pia Thomason decides for her soon-to-be fortieth birthday – she will treat herself. An adventure – to Iceland. She wants to find someone to love her and she doesn’t know if that is ever going to happen.

When she gets to Iceland weird things start happening. She is kidnapped and believed to be this Zorya thing. Then ghosts start appearing and she hears about these people called the “Dark Ones” (vampires). She doesn’t know who to believe. Who is good – who is evil.

Add to that the complication of budding attractions for two of the Dark Ones – Kristoff and Alec. Which one is the one she is meant to be with? What about the people that are after her? Who should she trust? And who should trust her?

What did you think about the book?

This book was very hard for me to get into. I think to start with the heroine was a little unsure of herself. She felt old and unattractive and spent a lot of time feeling sorry for herself. I don’t think 39 is old. Yes she wanted a relationship but still.

Then to move on to the rest of the plot – I spent half the book wondering whether she was going to get with Kristoff or Alec. I wanted her to be with someone – find her soulmate. But it is hard to feel that way when you think the book is a romance and she sleeps with both of the main heros before the book is halfway through. I can’t feel like she is with her soul mate when she sleeps with his best friend first.

I think for me part of it was finding the “genre” that I wanted to put it in. Was it a romance? Or was the book less about the relationships with the characters and instead about this overarching story? I thought it was the former at first but by middle thought it was the later, and then to end with the former. It just was difficult for me to get into.

What genre would you consider this?

Paranormal Romance

Overall:


Question for You!

Does the age of the characters in the book change anything for you?

No comments: