Saturday, February 14, 2009

Tantalize

Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith

What was this book about?

Quincie Morris is an orphan who lives with her uncle. Her parents have both died and other then her best friend Kieren she feels like she has nothing. Kieren though has his own plans as he is half werewolf.

When Quincie’s parents business begins to fail her uncle decides to open a “vampire” restaurant. Something themed that will draw in the customers. For Quincie that means working with a cook to figure out the menu, and figuring out what they need to do to make it authentic.

Quincie’s cook is killed and no one knows who did it. There goes another family friend. This vampire restaurant seems to be causing a lot of problems for everyone. Is it really worth it?

What did you think about the book?

I wanted to like this book – but it just didn’t do it for me. It was well written and the story was somewhat interesting. I think the things that did it for me was – did the world know about vampires? There were just too many side plots thrown in (what was going to happen with her best friend etc.) And the fact there was so much leading up to the big moment and not enough of the moment itself and the fall out from it.

I imagine this book is one of a series and that many of the things that I didn’t like will be covered there. That is probably the reason for not including it here. The big thing for me is I want the original book to grab my interest on its story – before being concerned about what is going to happen in the sequel. If it the plot points that will draw me to the sequel aren’t naturally part of the story that is ok. If I liked the first book I will pick up the second even if I am not sitting on pins and needles waiting to see what happens next.

What genre would you consider this?
Teen/Paranormal

Overall:


Question for You!
Would you go to a vampire themed restaurant?

No comments: