Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sweethearts

Sweethearts by Sara Zarr

What was this book about?

Jennifer Harris and Cameron Quick were the best of friends in grade school . Maybe that was because they were both outcasts. One day Cameron doesn’t show up at school and Jennifer believes he is dead.

When the opportunity comes up for Jennifer to move and start a new school – she decides to change herself - becoming Jenna. She now has everything. She is cute and popular, has boyfriends and friends, people look up to her. Then one day Cameron returns.

Jenna is forced to reevaluate her past and how she got to where she was. And Cameron was part of that. Why did he leave? What does their friendship mean to either of them?

What did you think about the book?


This book is one of those books that made me think. Especially in your teen years (and general school years) you try to be whoever it is that makes you fit in. And yet most of the time no one fits in. Is it denying yourself to become something that you aren’t for people to like you? Do you become that person?

What about the people from your past? Can they see you as anything but what you were?

At least for me growing up I did my best to fit in. I remember a girl that I was “friends” with repeatedly giving me lists of what I needed to do to improve myself – so that I could be friends with her (and everyone else). It took me a while but it was something that now as a self-assured adult – I wonder why I ever gave in to her bullying. I guess it was this need to fit in. For me that is less important now, but I think it is important to realize that the need is there – and what you have sometimes done in order to fulfill it.

What genre would you consider this?
Family Dynamics/Teen

Overall:

Question for You!
Have you ever tried to change yourself in a new environment? How did that work for you?

No comments: