Friday, February 20, 2009

The Shiksa Syndrome

The Shiksa Syndrome by Laurie Graff

What was this book about?

Aimee Albert had a relationship that wasn’t moving in the direction she wanted. For one he just wasn’t Jewish – so he didn’t get what was going on with her.

So she decides to move on and as part of that she goes through a makeover process. All of a sudden she doesn’t look like the typical Jewish woman. She looks like a Shiksa. So when she meets a nice Jewish boy – who likes that she is a Shiksa she decides she just won’t tell him the truth.

She is forced to live a life of lies. Josh has his own ideas of what a Jewish woman is about – and is excited that he has a Shiksa in his life. But religion is important to Aimee so she can’t keep denying her heritage forever. What will happen with Josh when he finds out who she really is?s

What did you think about the book?


I am not Jewish and I really don’t know all that much about the Jewish faith. But I didn’t think that it would matter when it came to this book. I thought I might learn some things, see a portal into someone’s different life – isn’t that what book reading is all about?

Despite my genuine positive outlook for this book it didn’t take too long before I was just tired of it. It wasn’t a bad book and maybe if I could identify with what the person was going through it may have helped. But the lies about something that was so important to her even though it was for no good reason (getting a guy isn’t a good reason – protecting yourself and your emotions is a good reason) got to me. I realize that Josh was dealing with his own issues of stereotyping and that was the only way she could get him to like her. But any guy who won’t look at you for you isn’t worth it.

What genre would you consider this?

Romance

Overall:

Question for You!

Have you ever used any sort of dating service? What did you think about it?

No comments: