Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ritual in Death

Ritual in Death by J.D. Robb (Part of the Suite 606 Anthology)

What was this book about?

Detective Eve Dallas is at a society party with her husband Roarke when a man stumbles in naked and covered with blood. They find a woman dead (and it is quite a grisly murder) in another room in the hotel. The room – Suite 606 – but a quick bloody swipe has made the room much more menacing.

Eve will do anything to find the killers. But it quickly is figured out that there is more to this then just a murder. Satanists are involved. They have destroyed several people’s lives as well as killed. Can Eve stop them? Who could do this?

What did you think about the book?

If you have read this blog before you may have noticed that I have a thing for J.D. Robb books. They just make me happy. I love revisiting the characters I have grown to love over and over – and there is almost nothing that J.D. (Nora Roberts) can do to make that change.

So despite my overall hatred (maybe that is too strong a word) for short stories – I picked this book up. I find that authors who are not normally short story authors have a problem making a concise, short story that doesn’t feel rushed. I was afraid that would be the case with this one.

Maybe it is my love of all things Eve Dallas – or maybe it really is pretty good – but I didn’t feel that about this story. Was it short? Yes. Did I wish it was longer? Yes. But did I feel I got a complete story where I wasn’t rushed into the beginning or the end? Yes.

Overall, therefore I was happy with it.

What genre would you consider this?

Mystery

Overall:


Question for You!

What is your favorite short story author?

No comments: